Are you getting enough Vitamin D?
• 79% of Malaysian aged 13 yrs are deficient in Vitamin D3, with Malay ladies at higher risk.
• 49% of Malaysian post-menopausal women are deficient in Vitamin D3.
Who are at high risk of Vitamin D deficiency?
- Darker skin
- Overweight or obese
- Stay Indoors
- Always apply sunscreen
Research shows inadequate Vitamin D has been linked with:
- Increased risk of fractures in older adults
- Age-related high blood pressure
- Age-related macular (eye) degeneration
- Twice the risk of having heart attack
- Poor diabetes control
- Cognitive decline
According to the Malaysia Recommended Nutrient Intake, one should have at least 15μg (600IU) Vitamin D daily. The best way to know if you are getting enough is to do a blood test.
As Vitamin D is available from your diet and direct sunlight, how do you know if you need supplementation?
- If the blood test shows that you are Vitamin D deficient.
- If you aren't able to be outdoors between 11am and 3pm.
- If you regularly have digestive issues that may affect effective Vitamin D absorption from your diet.
Get your Vitamin D >> HERE Today!!
This information is provided for education purposes only. It should not be used to substitute medical diagnosis.
1. Al-Sadat et al. 2016, “Vitamin D deficiency in Malaysian adolescents aged 13 years : findings from the Malaysian Health and Adolescents Longituidinal Research Team study (MyHearts), British Medical Journal
2. Moy, FM 2011, “Vitamin D status and its associated factors of free living Malay adults in a tropical country, Malaysia”, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology : Biology
3. Malhotra & Mithal 2009, “Vitamin D status in Asia”, International Osteoporosis Foundation
4. Tripkovic et al.2012, "Comparison of Vitamin D2 and Vitamin D3 supplementation in raising serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status: a systematic review and meta-analysis", American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol 95, pp. 1357 - 1364
5. "Vitamin D and Health", Harvard School of Public Health, https://www.hsph.havard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/vitamins/vitamin-d/
Posted On: 13/09/2019